Friday, September 30, 2011

Week Thirty-Seven, Items 343-350

Old car manual




Talk about something we don't need! This car manual belongs to a car we don't even have anymore. It wound up stored with some maps we had. We always keep some maps in our cars, so I think I must have mistakenly included this when I put the maps from the old car away. Anyway, perhaps there's someone out there with a Lumina, but no owner's manual. Regardless, we don't need this.


Stray mancala beads


We do have a mancala game, but the beads for that are blue, not clear. I am honestly not sure what these belonged to. But I do know that we don't need them, so out they go!



Brown tank top




This used to be one of my favorite tank tops, but now it is too short for me. I guess more than seven years of washing & drying will do that to a shirt. I happen to know that this tank top is at least seven years old because I'm wearing it in one of my favorite pictures (the picture is of my dad and me in Greece, and we were there in the summer of 2004).


Ribbed tank top 4




I wear ribbed tank tops like this one often. They're comfy, and good for layering. But this one is too short for me. I have a different plain white tank top I can use whenever I feel like wearing white (which is not that often at all).


Makeup brush holder




This was a free gift with purchase a while back. It came with a set of makeup brushes, which I actually use regularly and find handy. But I unpacked them all from this holder and stored them in a makeup bag I already had. That one is the right shape and size, and it's also nice and plain. This one looks like it wants to pass as a purse. It's just not my style, so it can go.


John Grisham book 2




This was one of the first books I read that was intended for adults, not kids. I used to read a lot of John Grisham's books. I can't say that I am still a fan of his books, but I do still admire his work ethic. He was a lawyer before he became a famous author, and would wake up at 5 every morning and write one page each day. I admire that kind of consistency.


Lunch box book




Thankfully, my husband and I are not the collecting types (it would certainly make decluttering harder if an entire group of items were deemed off-limits). But any collector of lunch boxes would probably love this book. It's full of pictures of nerdy lunch boxes, ranging from Batman and the Green Hornet to a NASA-themed one with a Thermos that looks like a rocket.


Crocheted daisy


One of my crafty former colleagues (by which I mean she made things, not that she was some sort of duplicitous trickster) made this for me ages ago. I appreciate that she made me something cheerful to have in my cubicle. But if I kept everything that everyone had ever given me, I'd be just drowning in stuff. And I've come to value space over stuff.



Progress: 350 items out of 400 = 87.5% done.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Trista - I just love your comment regarding the "daisy" that your colleague made for you. Indeed, if you kept everything everyone had ever given you, you would indeed be drowning in stuff.

    Sadly this is what some people do - and they are drowning. My job is to throw them a lifebelt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually dreading the holidays a little bit because of the stuff aspect. What I would really like to do is just ask people to make donations instead of giving gifts, but I already know that some extended family members aren't likely to do that. I really appreciate the thought behind gifts, but I don't need stuff—and others have dire needs. It would mean much more to me to have those met than for me to have a sweater or tchotchke. Do you have any suggestions on handling stuff at the holidays?

    ReplyDelete