Friday, November 25, 2011

Week Forty-Five, Items 409-418

Blue tank top 2




I like the color of this tank top, but it's yet another shirt that is now a little too short thanks to years of washing and drying. I should have started going through my clothes more carefully ages ago, because there are a number of shirts that have had this happen to them. I've started line-drying most of my clothes in the hope that they will hold up longer. Still, I got several years of wear out of a tank top that was in the $10 range. Someone with a slightly shorter torso could get several more years out of it.


Yellow shirt 2



This shirt fits perfectly, but the color looks awful on me. I love yellow, but it turns out that most shades of it look terrible on me. I have a light yellow shirt that is flattering, but both this mustard yellow shirt and a bright yellow shirt I donated earlier make me look like I have the flu. A common-enough look during flu season, maybe, but certainly not something to strive for!

Immersion blender attachment



It's a good thing that I wait to donate items until I have several big bags packed up, because this is an attachment for the immersion blender I listed in week 39! It's basically a mini food processor. I don't know why this wasn't stored right next to the immersion blender, but I'm glad I found it now. Usually I do monthly donation runs, but between a trip at the beginning of this month and the start of the holiday season this week, my donation bags sat for longer than usual. Turns out it was for the best!

White hair tie



Such a random little thing to get rid of, I know. But I don't wear white hair ties because I think they look sort of strange against my dark hair. So out this goes.

Mariners earrings 



These were a gift, and a logical choice for me: I love the Mariners, and I love earrings. But, as I mentioned earlier, I just don't do sports-themed jewelry. I haven't worn that since I was much younger. I feel bad about not keeping the gift, but I can still appreciate the thought without keeping the item.

Heart earrings




These were also a gift, and they are another item that I feel a sense of guilt about not keeping. I've gotten much better at dealing with that feeling, though; it just takes a moment of thinking about how not keeping the item doesn't mean I don't appreciate the thought behind the gift or the person who gave it to me. The thing is, I just am not a heart person. Never have been, never will be. So it doesn't make sense for me to keep these.


Yellow earrings




I wish I could keep these, because I think yellow accessories work just fine for me, even if yellow shirts are not so great. I love the size and color of these earrings. But the smaller center circle clacks against the larger outer circle whenever I move my head, and it doesn't take long before that gets really annoying. It's a surprisingly high-pitched sound for earrings to make.


Small earrings




These earrings are small and not really that interesting. It has been years and years since I've worn them. They're much more suited for someone with a far more conservative taste in jewelry than I have.


Purple earrings




The last entry in my little purge of earrings. I love earrings and, as with clothes, accumulated many over the years. I'd like to get the number I own down to a more manageable amount, though, because I have more pairs than I can wear on a regular basis. This pair, for example, is one I wore only a few times. I love big and bold earrings, but these ones are too big—even for me.


Black necklace



This necklace was a gift, and I am sad that it doesn't work for me. But the big bead hits me right in the notch in the center of my collarbone. It's pretty heavy, and it's really uncomfortable to have it rest there. The necklace doesn't have an adjustable clasp, so I can't change the length. I've tried to wear this many times, but I just can't do it for longer than a minute or two before it becomes too uncomfortable.

Progress: 418 items out of 500 = 83.6% done.


Note: Today is Black Friday, an annual event that follows Thanksgiving. On Black Friday, Americans forget about everything they were thankful for the day before and run out in a frenzy to buy as much stuff as they can get their hands on. Crowds get out of control; there are often fights and injuries, and sometimes even deaths. Black Friday is one of the things that makes me worry about the fate of humanity. Fortunately, some people are aware that life is more than stuff, and that we can go without most of the stuff we have or even want. Greg Hanscom just wrote a great piece for Grist about the role of stuff in his life, and how he and his family decided to have less of it. You can find his article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment