Saturday, December 24, 2011

Week Forty-Nine, Items 447-455

Penguin shirt




I think this shirt is funny (figure-skating penguins!), but it's one of the extra holiday things we are getting rid of. We have two boxes of stuff we keep on hand for our annual tacky holiday party, but we'd prefer just one. It's nice to have extras for guests, but shirts like this are less practical than cardigans, ties, etc. Those things are easier to add to whatever people are already wearing. And this shirt is a petite one, so I'm several inches too tall to even try wearing it.

Santa necklace


You can't really tell from the picture, but this Santa is squishy. If you remember those sticky hand toys from the late '80s or early '90s, well, this Santa feels the same as those. If you squeeze him, he lights up and starts playing music. It's extremely obnoxious, and the squishiness is honestly a little gross. So, this necklace also goes.


Santa candle




We also keep some decorations around for the party, but most of the things are either useful (such as the dreidel-shaped candy dishes) or flat (such as the Kwanzaa banner). So they make sense to keep. This candle does not fit into either one of those categories, so it can go.


Snowman ornament tag




This little snowman has a loop like he's an ornament, and he could be put up on a tree. He also holds a tag that says "to" and "from," and he could be used as a gift tag. It's very confusing. Anyway, we have plenty of ornaments, so we don't need to keep him for that. And a snowman gift tag is a little more cutesy than we would use. So on this confused little snowman will go.


Stickers




These stickers came with an order from Threadless a while back, and somehow wound up in our box of office supplies. They certainly don't belong there, and I can't think of a way we would actually use these, so out they go.


Black scarf




I love scarves, and wear them pretty much every day for five or six months of the year, but I still have more than I can reasonably wear. That includes three black scarves. Nobody needs three black scarves! One is lightweight, and one is heavy and warm. This is a medium weight one, but I've never worn it (as you can see). I also don't even wear black that often, because I'd rather wear bright colors. So I don't need to keep this.

Orange shirt




I was never really sure what colors looked good on me until I started this project. To pare down my wardrobe, I'll try on a shirt I love, and then others that are similar, to see what I want to keep. It often turns out that shirts I rarely wear are colors that just aren't flattering (and I had never actually noticed the difference until I immediately went from wearing one color to wearing another). Earthy colors, like this rusty orange, look way worse on me than bright colors. So I guess that explains why I like bright colors!

Pairs of boots 1 and 2




First things first: In person, these boots look like they need a little bit of TLC. In this picture, they look terrible! I promise they're fine. They are several years old, though, and I hadn't worn either pair in a couple of years until just the other day. I figured I should wear them again to see whether I wanted to keep them. I love wearing heels, but these boots just aren't comfortable. I wore them for 12 hours, but wanted to take them off after about 6. I have several pairs of heels that I can wear for 12 hours with no problem, so these just aren't up to par. Besides, I'm not really a pointy shoes person.


Progress: 455 items out of 500 = 91% done.

No comments:

Post a Comment