Saturday, June 18, 2011

Week Twenty-Two, Items 171-177

Reservoir Dogs




I don't watch violent movies. I think violence for the sake of violence is a cheap gimmick, and I don't like it. I'm not grossed out by blood and guts (I actually had a great time watching a medical procedure on my arm just the other day), I just don't want to spend my time watching depictions of violence and gore. There's one person who, whenever this comes up, says "but it's fake!" as though I don't already know that. Obviously, I do. But life is too short to fit in all the things I want to see, read and do. So why waste time on something I don't find worthwhile? Anyway, all of that is to say that this movie of my husband's can go. He never even opened it, and I've never seen it and don't want to.


Rounders




I don't have nearly as much to say about this one. It just falls into the category of movies that we have, but don't really feel the need to own anymore. I can't even remember how many years it's been since I saw this movie.


Jane Eyre




And this falls into the category of books we don't feel the need to own. The first time I tried to read this book, I only got through a few pages before I got bored and set it aside. I revisited it later, though, because I can't stand to start a book and not finish it. While I'm sure the Brontë sisters were lovely people, I haven't liked any of their books.


Sense and Sensibility




I like Jane Austen even less than I like Emily and Charlotte Brontë. I feel like Jane Austen reduces women to people obsessed with marriage, and—no offense to my husband intended—there's just so much more to life than that. I don't think her books are romantic, I think they're sad. I think this was a hand-me-down book, and I will hand it off again.


Card game rule book




This book was published in 1992, and I can see how it would've been a useful thing to have around then. But now, with Internet access as widespread as it is, it seems silly to have this. It's just taking up space; we've never used it. It definitely can go.


Blue shirt




This, apparently, is one of those shirts that looks way better on a person than it does just sitting on its own. Anyway, I like this shirt. I just feel like I've veered too far into grown-up territory to wear a shirt as slinky as this one looks when it's on. (Yes, I know I sound old.)


Shiny flag handkerchief




This is another thing we picked up at a thrift store for one of us to wear to the previously mentioned Hick Party. We have a bunch of stuff around the house that we've worn to various theme parties, and we don't need to keep all of it. So that's another area where we can pare down.


Progress: 177 items out of 400 = 44.25% done.

2 comments:

  1. Another eclectic bunch of clutter!

    So agree with your choice regarding 'Reservoir Dogs'. Simply having that film in your home, when it doesn't resonate with who you are, is bad news.

    As regards the literary clutter, I confess I flinched initially. I adore Jane Austen and love her caustic wit. You have to remember she was writing back in the 1800s when sadly, the height of a woman's ambition was to be well married. However, why keep classic literature which doesn't mean anything to you as an individual? I'm sure some well stocked bookshelves are somewhat hypocritical.

    I admire your discernment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely do have a great deal of respect for the fact that she was able to succeed as a novelist 200 years ago! But so many interesting, accomplished and well-rounded women have lived that I just would much rather read about them. I almost always choose non-fiction over fiction anyway.

    ReplyDelete