Friday, April 15, 2011

Week Thirteen, Items 103-109


Italian cookbook


I am not sure how I wound up with this cookbook. As you can clearly see from the cover, it is neither vegetarian nor vegan. I do love Italian food, and can veganize just about anything, but I have never found this particular cookbook that useful. With the number of cookbooks I do love, it seems silly to keep one I don't.


Boggle book



This is another one of those single-purpose items I'm trying to cut back on. I feel like we've got too many items in our house that have just one function. This seems like the sort of thing that's meant to be used to pass time when traveling, but my husband likes to nap on planes and trains, and I like to read. So neither of us would use this.

Floral skirt



This was a hand-me-down, and I, in turn, am going to hand it down to someone else. I wore it once, and while it fits, the floral print just doesn't suit me. I rarely wear prints, and when I do, I prefer simpler ones. But I'm sure someone else can get some good mileage out of this skirt.

Gray shirt



This is one of four long-sleeved gray shirts I own. Four! One is light gray, one is dark gray, one has an interesting neckline, and then there's this waffle-textured one. I love gray and live in a climate where it's cool much of the year, but I still just can't justify having four items that are so similar. Of the four, this is the one I wear least often, so it can go.

Curtain ties



These go with a set of curtains that we have hanging in a little nook in our house. The opening is an odd size (it's basically a short closet), so hanging curtains seemed a much easier solution than installing a door. Because we use the nook for storage (for holiday decorations and some camping gear), the curtains are always closed. Always. So we don't need these.

Yellow tie



My husband has had this tie since before I knew him and I have never, ever liked it. I just dislike the pattern. He has plenty of other ties (fortunately, someone with good taste started buying them for him!), so he certainly doesn't need this one. Happily for me, he agreed that it could go.

Scarf



We have friends who host an annual fundraiser for the American Cancer Society called the Hick Party. Last year, it was an incredible success, raising $18,080 (every penny of which was donated to the cause). As for the party itself, it's a ton of fun. People wear hick-themed costumes and eat hick-themed food and compete in hick-themed games for amazing (and yes, sometimes hick-themed) prizes. Anyway, in coming up with our costumes last summer, we were on the hunt for as much red, white & blue as we could find. We grabbed this scarf at a thrift store, intending for one of us to tie it like a bandana or something, but we wound up finding better ones to use. So, back to the thrift store this goes.


Progress: 109 items out of 400 = 27.25% done.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting to see a cookbook on the list. I wonder who thought to put "brand name" and "best loved" be on the same title? There are so many mediocre uninspiring cookbooks out there; I know I have a few on my own shelf that need to join your discard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipes call for things like "1 jar RAGU Robusto! pasta sauce" and 1 can CONTADINA tomato paste." It just felt too reminiscent of an infomercial.

    The trouble with having listed the cookbook as an item I've discarded means I can't go out and replace it. That's probably for the best, though. Like my grandma, I'm something of a cookbook hound! Whenever I get a new one, I sit down & read it cover to cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, Another daily declutterer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cookbooks better get out of my way. I'm coming after them. Kudos on that toss. Scarf too, Wno wears 'em?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Megan! I'm happy to see how many declutterers there are online. It's encouraging! And yeah, I love to wear scarves in the wintertime, but I never got the hang of those square silk scarves.

    ReplyDelete