Saturday, January 14, 2012

Week Fifty-Two, Items 485-500

Drink books 1-3




I got these all as gifts not long after turning 21, and picked up a lot by browsing through them. But I haven't looked at any of them in a while. We have tons of amazing breweries and wineries in the Northwest, and when we drink, it tends to be local beer or wine. And I never mix whiskey with anything other than water or 7 Up. These mainly focus on cocktails, though, so they are probably better suited for someone else.

Big Fish




I like this movie, but have seen it a few times and just don't think it's one I'll watch again. The last time I watched it was probably four or five years ago. We have done some paring down of our DVD collection, but could definitely stand to do more.

File folder


My husband had this file folder sitting in his desk, unused. He doesn't need it and neither do I, so out it goes. I'm sure someone can use it.

Travel document case


This slim little pouch is intended to hold documents—tickets, itineraries, maps, that sort of thing—while traveling. But I have never seen my husband use it on any of the many trips we've taken. So it can go.


Book light


Book lights are great ideas, but this one is a little bit inconvenient. It needs to be plugged in, which means it can be a bit cumbersome. That means it doesn't get used, and that means that we don't need to keep it.


Mini flashlight


This tiny little flashlight would work in a pinch, but it isn't something we need to keep. We have a full-sized flashlight, as well as a pair of headlamps. And should we ever need a pocket-sized light, I would just use the Flashlight app on my phone.

Measuring spoons


I do most of the cooking in our house, but my husband does all the dishes. It works out well. Anyway, these measuring spoons need to be washed by hand. We have a number of things that can't go in the dishwasher, but apparently these are a particular pain to get clean. We have other measuring spoons, so these can go.

Plastic food containers 5-7


Getting yet more plastic out of our house, which is always a good thing. We got Pyrex food containers for Christmas, which is awesome, because it means we can get rid of the rest of our plastic food containers once we've washed them.


Engrish tchotchke




This was my husband's prize for winning a trivia game at a party a while ago. Engrish can be kind of funny, but this is obviously not something that we need to keep.

Pair of ball and paddle games




We got these toys in our stockings, and played with them for a bit on Christmas. Neither of us did very well. But even if we were somehow experts, we wouldn't need to keep these.


Christmas tissues




Another stocking stuffer item. Tissues are always useful to have around, especially at this time of year, but I don't know about using printed ones like this. So they can go.

Progress: 500 items out of 500 = 100% done.


Note: 500 items in one year! I'm enjoying the results, and want to continue de-cluttering for the rest of 2012 as well. My goal for the remainder of the year is an additional 300 items, which will bring me to a total of 800 items in just under two years. I think that's a respectable pace. I'm also planning to shift my attention this year a little bit; rather than just de-cluttering, I want to devote time and effort to making sure that the items we do have are stored in ways that maximize our space.

New goal progress: 500 items out of 800 = 62.5% done.

No comments:

Post a Comment