Saturday, July 2, 2011

Week Twenty-Four, Items 185-192


Quiz game


If I remember correctly, this little electronic device mostly has language quiz games. It also has calculator and currency conversion functions, apparently. I didn't even know I still had this—it's been years since I last used it. When I came across it, it took me a few minutes to even remember what it was. Precisely the sort of thing that can go.

Key 3


This is my husband's old key to a place I used to live. I'm sure there are creative upcyclers out there who can turn boring old keys into cool new things, but I just am not one of those people.

Blue performance shirt




This shirt is made of a lightweight, wicking material. It is meant to be ideal for camping, hiking, etc. The concept is great, but this shirt doesn't fit me well. The sleeves are too short for it to be long-sleeved, and too loose to wear underneath something that has long sleeves (they get bunched up, which I can't stand). They're also too loose to stay up on their own when pushed up.


Gray Bermuda shorts



I'm not really a shorts person; I prefer skirts and dresses. (Somewhere, 9-year-old me cannot believe this.) These fit well and look nice, but I just never wear them. I'm sure someone else could get good use out of them, though, especially now that the weather is warm. I think they'd even be office-appropriate for a Casual Friday.


Red punch bowl




We used to use this to serve punch at our intentionally-tacky holiday parties, but I don't think we've actually used it the past couple of years. So it's just been taking up storage space in our kitchen. I'm going to donate this—someone just might want a sparkly red punch bowl for their 4th of July celebration.

Heat pack boxes 1 and 2




Someone gave us these big boxes of heat packs (I can only assume they came from Costco). It was a nice gesture, but we don't use these. We have an electric heat pad that we use instead. We try to avoid buying and using things that are designed to be thrown away, and that's exactly what these are.

Replay



The premise of this book is interesting: A middle-aged man dies in 1988 and wakes up as his teenage self in 1963, with his memories and knowledge from adulthood intact. When he reaches 1988, it happens again. And again. The idea of living one's life over and over is intriguing, but this book is not. Despite having the knowledge of an adult, the main character spends his time acting like a selfish, hedonistic teenager. He spends centuries living and still manages to avoid any kind of growth. In addition, the dialogue is trite and laughable, and Ken Grimwood's treatment of women is shallow and insulting. This book seemed like nothing more than Grimwood living out personal fantasies through his main character (similar to how I imagine Dan Brown really wishes he were Robert Langdon).


Progress: 192 items out of 400 = 48% done.

No comments:

Post a Comment