Friday, March 4, 2011

Week Seven, Items 51-58

The O.C. seasons 1 and 2




I used to like this show—I thought Seth was hilarious, and I liked his parents, too—but I don't think I ever enjoyed this show enough to actually justify owning it. I haven't seen any of the other seasons, and it's been years since I've watched any of the episodes I do own. These need a home with someone who will watch them. We have enough DVDs that we don't need to keep ones we don't watch.

Tetris for PS2




Years ago, my husband was planning to buy a PlayStation 2. So, when I saw this on clearance at Best Buy, I got it (I apologize, gamer friends; I am a sucker for Tetris). Shortly thereafter, we wound up getting a Wii for Christmas, and we agreed that one gaming console would suffice. This never got used, and now that I've tracked it down, I'm going to donate it.

Pleated blue shirt




I've had this shirt for a few years, but have only worn it a handful of times. I do like the color quite a bit. I just hardly ever reach for it when I'm deciding what to wear, and I'm sure someone else would get more use out of it. I have plenty of shirts, and don't need to keep the ones that mostly go unworn.

Silver sneakers




I used to wear these shoes a lot when traveling, because they slip on and off easily. I got them specifically for a trip to Japan, but they are also convenient for going through airport security. Then I wore them to do yard work one day. That was a terrible idea; these shoes are largely made of mesh, so tons of dirt got into them. I've gotten most of it out, but they need one more good washing before I think they're suitably cleaned up. Then I can donate them.


Sticky notes




Sticky notes are one of the more useful items we get in our Christmas stockings, but we don't use them as often as we get them. We have more than we need, so this unopened package of them can go.

Quiz book




I got this as a gift years ago. It's full of "would you rather" questions. I can see how something like that could be fun on a road trip, or even just at home with a group of friends, so I appreciate the sentiment. The trouble is that this particular book is full of questions that are gross, macabre or both. I flipped through it one more time to see if I could find a question to post as an example, but they're all vile enough that I'd rather not post any of them here. Long story short, this book is just not for me.

Scented sachet




This was also a gift. But some people are scented sachet people, and some are not. I am not. What can I say? I dislike things that remind me of the time I tried to eat potpourri when I was little. (My mom had put some out in a little glass dish. The pieces of potpourri were small and colorful, and they smelled edible, so I assumed it was a dish full of candy. It was decidedly NOT candy.)


Progress: 58 out of 400 items = 14.5% done.

2 comments:

  1. More great content Trista! I love the way you explain the reason for parting with each item.

    I know what you mean about scented sachets, by the way. The hardest thing for most people is to declutter unwanted gifts.

    Prepare to get some UK followers as I spread your simple message. I've a feeling this approach might be easier for some to handle than the more extreme bulk decluttering that works for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Judith! Gifts are definitely the only things that have felt tough to give away so far, but that's because I am attached to the person—not to the object. Once I remind myself of that, it's easier to let the gifts go.

    Doing a bit at a time has kept me from feeling overwhelmed, and now that I've been at it for a couple months, I feel like I've really made some progress! I can see how different approaches would work for different types of people. I'm the sort of person who peels a bandage off slowly, rather than ripping it off all at once, so I think that's why this slow & steady decluttering method has been working for me.

    ReplyDelete