Friday, February 25, 2011

Week Six, Items 43-50

Frog socks




I bought these frog slipper things as a gag gift for someone before I found out that they really dislike that sort of thing (gag gifts, that is. I don't know what they think about frogs). So now I will just donate them. These are quite soft, and I'm sure someone out there would love them (though not anyone who enjoys sliding on wood floors. These have "ribbit" written on the bottom in grippy letters).

Green hooded tee




This shirt is comfy, but I haven't worn it in ages. I think it might be a little bit too casual for me now or something. I just have too many clothes to keep ones that I don't wear, so I'm going to donate this. Someone else might love it, and I don't need it sitting in my closet, going unworn.

Business card holder




Yet another item from the seemingly bottomless box of things from college. (There are some fun & useful things in there, too, but then, that's not what this blog is for.) I keep business cards in one of those plastic file folders with the internal dividers. Somebody gave this to me at graduation, but I've never actually used it.

Mary Higgins Clark book




I read a bunch of Mary Higgins Clark books in middle school. I think I liked them because I was always able to solve them partway through. They really were terrible books, though. Think of all the hours I wasted reading complete crap! It's sad, really. I'm not even completely sure how I ended up with this one, but I think my bookshelf will be happy to see it go.

Invitations




I bought these packages of fill-in-the-blank invitations when I was helping someone out with an event a while back. She wanted "not flashy" fill-in-the-blank invitations, so I found these. Then she decided an Evite would be easier for the guests. These have just been sitting around ever since. I'm not a fill-in-the-blanks invitation person (my handwriting is terrible), so I'm not going to use them. Instead, I'm giving them to someone who will.


Ginormous red earrings


I ordered these, along with a few other things, from Forever 21 a few years ago. I love big, bright earrings, but these are chunkier than I thought they would be. It's an awful lot of red to put next to one's face, so I've never worn them. I'm sure they could work in the right situation, but I don't think I'm the right person for that situation, whatever it may be.


Spiderman




Yes, this is on VHS. Like Black Hawk Down, I bought this used for cheaper than I could have rented it. I typically love movies adapted from comic books, but this is an exception. I have a vague sort of appreciation for it because its success paved the way for a bunch of movies that I do like, but I just was not a fan of this movie.

Movie guide book




I can't even tell you how excited I am to be getting rid of this thing. It's larger than a phone book, and full of little bits of information about movies. My husband has had it for years, and for years he's refused to get rid of it. I've tried to explain to him that there's this useful thing called the Internet, where he could find even more information than is contained in this book. It's seven years old, and just a waste of space. Since starting this blog, I've finally convinced him to embrace the Internet when he wants movie info, and get rid of this waste of space. Hooray!

Progress: 50 items out of 400 = 12.5% done

7 comments:

  1. That movie book is a great toss! I love getting rid of things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really am unreasonably happy to be getting it out of my house. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Get it out of the house! The only way to get clutter under control is to get it out of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another interesting collection of discards. It inspires me to pare down, maybe I'll focus on things in my kitchen and write a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Alice! I am sure our house will feel much bigger by the end of the year.

    Thanks, Debra! That would be a great post. I haven't even started on our kitchen yet, but I do know that we've got two identical Ichiro shot glasses. So there's definitely some stuff in there that we don't need.

    I found that focusing on a smaller task made me feel much more accomplished than just getting rid of a hodgepodge of things. I tackled our bathroom cabinet & threw out all the expired medicines and things, and I really felt like I'd made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Trista, I just came across your blog via Twitter!

    I work as a clutter consultant in the UK helping clients part with stuff and get organised. I just wanted to say, I'm inspired by your actions and love the style of your blog.

    I am about to run a decluttering workshop with a life coach friend of mine and we've called it "Too much stuff? Not enough space?"

    I can't wait to read more and hope you don't mind me sharing your ideas with contacts in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the compliments, Judith! I truly appreciate it. Your workshop sounds great, and you're more than welcome to share any ideas you picked up while reading my blog. I'd love to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete