Friday, February 18, 2011

Week Five, Items 36-42


Orange hair spray



Last Halloween, my husband and I dressed up as Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman. My husband used this stuff to turn his hair red like Adam's, only he looked more like he shampooed his hair with Cheeto dust. It worked for Halloween costume purposes, but it got all over his shirt, jacket and hat. It was a huge pain to get this stuff out of all of those, so I am quite happy to get rid of this.

Pair of pillowcases



Since discovering fleece pillowcases, my husband has gotten hooked on how soft they are, and now that's all he uses. These plain old cotton pillowcases just aren't up to snuff, I guess. They're too big for my pillow, so we can just get rid of these.

Turquoise sweater



I bought this sweater mainly because it's extremely soft. I also liked the color, though I was never that crazy about the style. I shouldn't have bought it, but I guess my husband isn't the only one who's a sucker for soft things. I've hardly ever worn this, but I'm sure someone else can get a lot of use out of it.

Set of plastic organizers




We used these to organize our silverware when we were renting a condo that had really narrow kitchen drawers—a regular organizing contraption wouldn't fit. Since we moved into our house, these have just been taking up space on the top shelf in a cupboard. If we had another way to put these to use, we would've done it by now. But we haven't, so they can go.

Black Hawk Down



I watched this movie once, and while I'm glad I did, I don't feel I ever need to watch again. It is just too damn depressing. I bought it used at a Blockbuster for less than it would have cost to rent it (this was back in the Dark Ages, before Netflix existed), but I am sure someone out there would like to own it. For me, though, this is just the kind of movie that I can't handle watching more than once (and even once was tough).

Saxifrage
 1 and 2




Saxifrage is my college's literary journal. I read through each of these when I got them, though I have not looked at them since (these are also from my box of random college-era things). To be honest, I don't read much fiction. I think these would have a better home with someone who loves fiction and poetry. 

Decluttering

In addition to these items, I also tackled another decluttering project this week: our medicine cabinet. I threw out everything that was expired (some things in there had expired in 2009!). I am not counting those items toward my total, though, because some of them will be replaced. Tackling that one project gave me a sense of accomplishment I haven't gotten from just getting rid of a few items a week. I would love to come up with a few more defined decluttering projects like that one—it's so encouraging to see a huge improvement, even if it's just in a small area.

Progress: 42 items out of 400 = 10.5% done.

No comments:

Post a Comment