Friday, April 8, 2011

Week Twelve, Items 95-102

Pastel Seahawks hat


This was given to me as a gift, and I know it was with the best of intentions—I love the Seahawks and I love the color blue. But frankly, I resent the trend of sports teams making pastel items specifically for women. As a lifelong sports fan, former sports editor (back in my college days) and a person who argues with my husband about the best picks we can make in this year's draft to bolster our defense, I think I've earned the right to not be condescended to because of my gender. I refuse to perpetuate the idea that women will only support their teams if they can do so in cutesy, dainty pastels. The best way I can support my team is by being a knowledgeable fan. I don't need to wear a pastel hat to do that.


Green headband




Another headband that I purchased on impulse, apparently paying no attention to the fact that I dislike wearing headbands. I won't wear this, so it does me no good. I'm sure there's someone out there who likes to wear headbands, though, so at least someone will benefit from my impulse buy.


Blue shell




This shirt looks a bit odd in this picture. It's a sleeveless shell with a collar that folds over. It looks great once it's actually on, but it's a distinctly professional/office type of top. Working from home, I just don't need as many office-appropriate clothes as I used to. This is one of the things I didn't wear during my year of participating in The Great American Apparel Diet, so it can go.


Mat board cutter




This was only sort of an impulse buy. I did go into the store intending to buy a mat board cutter, but I had my eye on a different type. This one was marked down so far, though, that I couldn't resist, and I bought it instead. I wish I hadn't—I wound up using this for just one project. It's pretty frustrating to work with, and I am not sorry to see it go.


Pillar candles



I had totally forgotten that I bought these. I got them a long time ago, intending to use them for wedding decor, and just found them today. That means they've been languishing in my closet since the spring or summer of 2009, then. That's kind of embarrassing. Fortunately, I know someone who can put them to good use.


Candle holder sets 1 and 2




I bought these candle holders to go with the pillar candles. Apparently sets of candle holders come in different amounts than sets of candles—just like hot dogs and hot dog buns, I guess. Unlike Steve Martin in Father of the Bride, though, the mismatched numbers did not send me off the deep end. These candle holders will go with the candles to a good new home.


Small purse




I haven't used this purse in a long time; it's been sitting in a dresser drawer since we moved into this house. I definitely haven't missed it, so I don't need to keep it. Besides, I know someone who likes to use small purses like this one (it doesn't hold much more than a wallet and a phone), so I will pass it on to her.


Progress: 102 items out of 400 = 25.5% done.

No comments:

Post a Comment